A place with
In 1918 Amando Lizandara Hernández founded the domino game factory "A. Lizandara Hernandez" to the Avenida de los Aliados, today known as Avenida del Puerto. First it did it with a partner, and, later, it already began its activity in solitary. The factory closed in 1971.
Three generationsTook care of this factory
For almost a century three generations made the craft creation of dominos their way of life. First Amando Lizandara Hernandez, then his widow, and later, his daughter Maria with her family. It is a curious anecdote that on the night of the great flood of 1957, which devastated the Valencia city, those in charge of storing the floodgates went to buy a domino at the factory so as not to fall asleep on a night.
9 Different modelsDepending on their quality
The dominos were made with celluloid that they brought from Germany, although some were also made with beech wood, which were the cheapest. There were up to nine different models and they all had their names: Cervantes, Sultana, Special Chamelo, Imperial or Juguete
Handcrafted manufacturingfrom de production process
The manufacturing process was very handmade and the whole phase was carried out in the same building: from the creation of the paste for the preparation of the cards to the construction of the wooden box where the 28 cards of the game were placed. They also offered a repair service for parts. The boxes were wrapped in paper and sealed with a sticker with the emblem of the factory, what we know today as a modern logo. In some cases these boxes could be personalized with the family names or the coat of arms of the surname made of gold leaf.
ExportTo countries such as Venezuela, Equatorial Guinea, United States or Puerto Rico
The dominos were sold directly in the factory to private individuals and casino managers in Valencia. The family also had a shop in Barcelona, and for a long time the game was exported to Venezuela, the United States, Puerto Rico or to the island of Fernando de Poo, a former Spanish colony, now known as Bioko in Equatorial Guinea.